Rural, Urban, and Suburban Communities = FUN!




It's a SNOW DAY....YIPPPEEEE!
Pancakes for the kids..Check
Hot yummy coffee...Check
Comfy sweatshirt and socks..Check
E-mail and Facebook..Check

And NOW I want to share with you how I teach my unit on Communities in my classroom.

A few weeks back, my little second graders accomplished A LOT while learning about communities!  They are a really great group of kiddos and most of them are quick workers!  

I ALWAYS start my Communities lesson with the most fabulous book E.V.E.R...

The Little House

(Click this link above to get it on Amazon)

This is the most precious story with the most beautiful illustrations and it does a fabulous job of demonstrating how communities change over time and the wonders of each type of community!

After I read the story, we brainstorm as a class what we see and hear in each type of community and make a Triple-T Chart (oops..forgot to take a picture)...sadsville :(

Here is a video that I also show to my kiddos.  It is only about 15 minutes, but it has GREAT content!





Then I show them our new Rural, Urban, and Suburban Lapbook we are going to make and they get sooooooooo excited!  Don't you just love when they get excited about learning :)

We started with our Rural and Urban Flip-Flap Matchbooks.  We all live in a suburban community so I wanted them to first write about the communities they do not live in.  Here are some samples of their work...




This is the inside of the Rural Flip-Flap Matchbook.



This is the inside of the Urban Flip-Flap Matchbook.



This is a completed lap book that one of my little kiddos made.  They were a HUGE HIT with their parents :)



This is the sample that I show my students to give them an idea what the finished product will look like.




If you are interested in using my Rural, Urban, and Suburban Lapbook in your classroom, check out my link below to get to my TPT Shop to pick it up! 

During our Daily 5 block, I am going to have my students also create a Rural, Urban, and Suburban Flip Flap Book as an authentic assessment at the conclusion of the unit.  They know exactly how to make them now and I rarely even have to give them directions, so they know exactly what to do.  That is soooooo exciting to me.

This is what they will be working on in my Work on Writing Station for the week.



If you would like to check out my Rural, Urban, and Suburban Flip Flap Book, click the images above and you can check it out in my TPT Shop :)


Well....that's all for today friends!  I wish you a wonderful and WARM week with your little ones!  Try and find a few minutes to relax this week!  It's important to think about yourself and get some "YOU" time!

Hugs,

 photo signature-3_zpsfc71e6f5.png