Guided Math and Math Stations




Hi Friends.... Welcome to our Bright Ideas Blog Hop!!!  


Isn't this fun??!  The ideas that I have gained from these hops have been amazing!  So, thank you so much for taking the time to hop along and learn some new ideas!

Today I would like to share with you how I incorporate Guided Math and Math Stations in my classroom during my math block.  This was actually my first year implementing Guided Math and I have to say that I LOVE it, but it is a lot of work to get it going and to run smoothly!  But now that it is going, we are really getting a lot accomplished and it truly allows me to quickly see who is having difficulty with the skill we are learning.
{You will see lots of pictures as you read through the post}

I guess I will start with WHY I implemented a Guided Math approach in my classroom.  I work in a very affluent school district and expectations are extremely high for teachers and students.  We are expected to challenge our advanced students, who are at times well above grade level, and we are expected to work one-on-one with our struggling learners to help them meet the yearly benchmarks. Not an easy task!  The reason I implemented Guided Math this year was because over the past sixteen years in my district, I have noticed a trend where some students were capable of learning and applying higher-level math skills than what I was instructing each day; in short, I was not differentiating my instruction enough.....so...in came... Guided Math.

I read a couple of books, scoured the internet and then found
Stephanie's blog called Third Grade Thoughts...UMM..this girlie is Fab-U-lous!!! I learned a TON of information through her blog!  She is the bomb-diggity in my opinion :)

So my quest began!  I started implementing this approach by first getting everything organized.  I knew I would have 3 Rotations.

The rotations were Teacher Feature, Workbook Nook. and Elation Stations.  I would meet with each group for 20 minutes and then rotate groups.



This photo {names are blocked} is what I have posted in my room for the rotations.  When we begin the guided math rotations for the day, my Blue Group works on the Lesson Work from the day prior.  Which means, the Blue Group will be taught a lesson, yet not practice the skill until the next day during the first rotation that they are in Workbook Nook.  My Yellow Group goes to Elation Stations first and my Pink Group works with me in Teacher Feature first.

I pre-assess my students with each new unit that I begin.  I created math assessments for each common core math standard.  They are very useful to me because it clearly deliniates which area my students are struggling with or excelling in.  I also always give a pre-test and a post-test.

These groups change based on the results of my unit 
pre-assessments.  My Pink group is my group that needs a bit more of my attention in regards to the particular skill I am teaching.  The Yellow group has a decent handle on the information, but require direct instruction.  My Blue group are advanced in the particular unit of study that we are working on and require more of a challenge within this unit.

This is the anchor chart that I complete with my students prior to beginning our Guided Math Rotations.  They match my Daily 5 Charts so some of the expectations and behaviors are consistent throughout math and reading.


This is how I organize my Math Stations.  Each drawer has 2 clear envelopes (from the dollar store) labeled with the same numbers that are also on the drawer.  There are 20 different Math Station Activities in this drawer unit at a specific time which accounts for about a month or two of Guided Math Rotations.  I do not do Guided Math everyday.  As I mentioned, this is my first year implementing it, so I am gradually working up to an every day model.  Each activity has a recording sheet, but doesn't necessarily have to.  My students also have a check-off sheet that matches each activity number and drawer.






This is the recording sheet that my students use to keep track of the Math Stations they have completed. I have two of these on one sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper.


If a student completes their Math Station before the 20 minutes is up for the rotation, they work on a Math Journal Prompt and then Math Fact Fluency activities until the chime rings.  They use Beat the Clock Books from Lakeshore and Hot Dots to practice their Math Fact Fluency.



They complete their Math Journal prompt in black and white {well blue and white in this case} marble notebooks that my wonderful hubby cut in half for me :)  Gotta love him :)

Here is one in progress....


Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of me teaching...because I don't have a TA in my classroom..boo-hoo...but here are some pictures of my little ones working in their Math Stations.



So...this is basically how I run my Guided Math program in a nutshell :)  I hope you found this blog post informative and helpful in some way.

Now..take some time to HOP on over to Callie's blog called Teach-A-Roo
for some cool things to do with Duck Tape..it's a DIY post...gotta love 'em!

Thanks so much for HOPPING by...

Here is a link to Guided Math & Math Stations {Part 2}


Hugs,
 photo signature-3_zpsfc71e6f5.png


28 comments:

  1. I am marking this post to refer back to often. This is on my list of things to do this upcoming year. Thank you soooo much for sharing. It will be a tremendous help! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you're doing Guided Math this year!! What a fantastic set up and isn't it fantastic how involved the kids are? Thanks so much for the shout my friend :) :)

    ~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the envelopes from the dollar store. I'll have to pay them a visit to see if they have any. We run our math work stations in a similar format, but have a ton of technology that I utilize during our station time.

    What I Have Learned

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post... the pictures are awesome! Looks like your setup is seamless!
    Stacy
    Funky Fresh Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing how you organize your math stations. I just started them this year so I am always looking for different ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much amazingness in this post that I don't even know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Math Workshop! Your math stations are so organized, and those drawers are beautiful! Love your posts!!
    XO
    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post, Anna! I am already doing daily math groups, but love the way you have organized the Lesson Work, and math station activities. That is my next step, and now I am super inspired to tackle that!

    Nicole
    Mrs, Rios Teaches Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love this! Thank you for sharing! Did you find your math journal prompts on TpT? Are they yours or did you find them through another seller? Would love to get my hands on those. :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just DYING over your organization! Love the anchor chart and the little math notebooks... everything! Thanks for sharing such fab ideas :)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is exactly what I have been searching for. Thank you so much for sharing! Can you possibly tell me where I can purchase the black math station labels in your pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great organization Anna! I started math groups this year and it has worked so well to keep my kids engaged. I would love to know more about what you do with your advanced students. This is where I feel like I fall short. I want to push them a bit more, but not overwhelm them! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Aloha,
    Corinna (✿◠‿◠)
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What great math organization! Love that colored drawer cart too. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adorrrrre this post!!! Soooo many wonderful ideas and fantastic organization!!! Pinning to the Math board on Teachers on Pinterest AND to my own board for future reference. Sounds like we teach in similar districts. :)
    Hugs - Lisa
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your post, and I LOVE how you included pics to help those visual learners like myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah Anna!!! Looks fabulous!! We all deserve an aide... if only to walk around and talk pics of us ;)
      Lory’s Page

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your math center organization. I love the math prompts. Can you tell me where to find where your station lables and tracking sheet are located along with the math prompts. I really want toget this all taken care of in my room. Thanks for helping me out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Peace, Love, and Teaching.... :) Thanks so much for your comment! Yes... My math assessments that I made have a Pre and Post test for each common core state standard. You can check them out here in my TPT shop... http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Common-Core-Math-Assessments-for-Grade-2-All-Standards-Included-466290

    Thanks so much for your question :)

    Hugs
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do a modified version of this. I LOVE your journals! They are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you have the prompt for the math journals available? I would love to have those.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What did your husband use to cut the journals in half?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do you sell your math centers anywhere? I will be teaching second grade for the first time in September and would love to do exactly this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm looking for your labels and tracking sheet. Is it on TPT?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Friends....I know that many of you are interested in my labels and recording sheet for my math stations. If you click this link, it will take you to my new blog post with some resources for you :)

    http://simplyskilledinsecond.blogspot.com/2014/07/guided-math-math-stations-part-2.html

    Hugs
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do you have your anchor charts anywhere?? I love them and match my others :-) Thanks
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am also looking for a link for the anchor chart for Math Centers. I use the ones you made for Daily 5 in reading, and I LOVE them. I would love to have the math poster to share as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post! Where do you get to the snap pockets? Do you have a cheap source?

    What I Have Learned

    ReplyDelete